Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

RAIN???

It is unusual for the Sacramento area to get rain this time of year.  It's absolutely pouring down and streaming down the windows.  There is even thunder.   Rocky is staying close by.  Darn, I wish I had my new sod down, but maybe we will get some rain throughout the winter.

This puppy is so funny sometimes I just sit and laugh at him and his antics.  He still isn't back to his old self after the shots, but he's doing well.  And he loves getting 3 meals a day now, plus still gets the treats in between.  He knows the word "treat" very well.  And today he has conned me out of a couple of teaspoons of vanilla ice cream.  I know I shouldn't but I do anyway. (It's the only way I can get ice cream for myself!)  I ordered a large bag of puppy food for large breeds as the vet recommended.  She mentioned it emphatically several times, so I am not waiting.  He has about 3 days left of his regular puppy food, so I'll finish that off.  I don't think it will be difficult to switch him over, as a lab will usually eat anything put in front of them, and make you think it's the best stuff they ever tasted.   

I can't stress enough how happy I am that I got what I wanted in a puppy.  He's a lot of work and hassle, and his independent nature often really irritates me, but he brings me so much joy it isn't even a question of putting up with the problems that go along with raising a pup.  The hardest thing is doing it alone, although I get valuable help from my kids and grandkids.  Being tied down is the most difficult aspect.

I got an email from Costco notifying me that they deliver groceries, so I will check out exactly what is available for delivery.  I knew they were working on it but I haven't ordered from them yet - I'll let them get their system worked out.  I will repeat that home delivery is a great thing for someone who can't get out to the stores.  I would far rather shop in the actual store, but since I can't I'm so grateful for this service being available.  Costco has a lot of items in large quantities, so if it's something you like to eat and have the space to store it, the price is really worth it.

It sounds like the rain is slowing down so maybe I can open a few windows again.  It's good to not have to use the fan or cooler, and not have the electricity costs that go along with them, but we will be back up into the 80's in a few days and that will require some cooling.

I have a hungry puppy so I will close and go feed the mutt!

15 comments:

  1. First off, I love your blog! And I love your dog! (I have 3 of them myself but not large ones.) We just changed our dogs food, and the way we did it is gradually. Mix a little new dog food with his puppy food for the next couple of days. Just do a little bit at a time and by the time you are done with the puppy food, he will be used to the new food.
    I know you might not like this comment but you are doing more harm than good by giving your dog people food. I found out the hard way! Every night after dinner, two of my dogs got exactly 2 bites of my dinner. They could not wait for those two bites. Now they both have pancreas problems from eating people food. They now do not get anything along those lines. My vet told me that I was probably doing it because it made me feel good. And yes it did. But I was hurting my dogs. I stopped completely and after years of getting them healthy, they are so much better. This might not be the case for big dogs or the type of breed you have but I just wanted to warn you about it.
    Also, have you ever seen those treat dispensing toys? Walmart sells a large one called KONG. It would keep Rocky pretty busy! Especially if you have to leave for a while!
    Keep up with the great blog! You are an awesome writer! Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comments. I know down deep it's a mistake to let my dog have any people food at all, but it's so hard to ignore those big, beautiful brown eyes pleading with me. I am really going to make an effort to not do it any more.

      As for the kong toy, I had a small one but nearly everything you read about them recommends peanut butter. I even bought peanut butter just made for dogs (no additives), and I ended up with peanut butter smears all over the front porch and living room. So I threw it out after having to clean that mess up. If you use a kong that doesn't involve peanut butter let me know and I might try one again. Thanks again for your comments, Ellen.

      Delete
    2. I had the same problem with peanut butter! Such a gooey mess! I still use a kong though. I put large a couple small treats in first, sometimes a little bit of string cheese, then one larger treat to hold it all in. Sometimes you have to really push hard to force the large treat in the Kong, but it takes Dermot hours to get all of the big one out and it's great to know he's diligently working on it while I'm at work!

      Delete
  2. It is usually a recommended not to switch foods suddenly, but gradually. I would start adding a small amount of the new food to his current food now. Gradually increasing it over the next few days. A sudden change could cause loose stools & that would not be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to do just that, and hope it doesn't affect his digestive system as much as if I changed all at once.

      Delete
  3. I have kongs for our dogs. Alas. In short order it got to the point that it took me more time to stuff than it did them to empty a Kong. And, for some reason, our dogs will not touch treats when we are not home with them. A Kong might keep Rocky busy for a little while, though, and it will be fun for you to watch him. We used peanut butter, along with a few other treats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peanut butter is what I don't like. I froze the Kong but the peanut butter got soft and runny in no time!

      Delete
  4. I love dogs and we now only have two of them. I still get tears in my eyes when I think of the ones I have lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way about the last two dogs I had, Smoky and Lady. I miss them but I think they are watching over Rocky.

      Delete
  5. I am so happy that Rocky has brought you so much joy. Keep enjoying him while he grows into a very handsome and loyal companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might drive me crazy first, as he has so much excitement and love of life. I have it too, but not like when I was young, haha.

      Delete
  6. With climate change so many places are experiencing things that are not typical for their area. Glad you and Rocky are bonding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in Sacramento in the 1980's I had never seen such weather patterns and so much dryness most of the year as compared to pouring rain for a couple of months straight. I always appreciated the rain, though as there is nothing worse than a drought.

      Delete
  7. Rocky - you have brought our Gypsy so much love and life. Thank you for that. And also thank you for driving her crazy sometimes because that keeps her on her toes. Life is definitely much more interesting and filled with so much love with a pet. And I'm partial to dogs. Amazing how much progress he has made. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. He's like a kid, so when he's quiet I jump up and run to see what damage he might be doing, only to find him resting peacefully! He manages to do some damage though.

      Delete