Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, May 17, 2018

I'll Soon be on the Road Again!

I've accomplished quite a bit today considering my slow start this morning.  Got my hair cut - it's been back before Christmas when I last had it cut.  It looks and feels great and I think it will be easy to take care of for a while at least.

I mostly have all the clothes packed in my suitcase, with a few remaining odds and ends including shoes.  My small carry on backpack is getting stuffed with still more to go into it, but I really don't want to have to wheel anything more than the large case.   Everywhere I look around the house are odds and ends that have to be packed - phone, computer, Nook, chargers, etc.

Still no sign of the new debit card, but I still have 3 more mail deliveries.  I'll just have to use my credit card if it doesn't arrive before I leave.  I won't have to buy much on the train - I guess beer if I want any.  They provide wine with dinner plus all meals for 1st class passengers, but I'll need cash for tips.  I have no clue how much to tip anyone - it's been a long time since I've needed to tip except for local restaurants and pubs once in a while.   I know I'll need to tip my room attendants and probably if anyone helps me get my big suitcase aboard.

I'm getting more excited about the trip by the day now.  At first it was an overwhelming thought and I didn't know if I could do it.  I still worry about tripping but I'll just be careful and will welcome any helping hand extended to me.  What a switch for me!  I've always been a do-it-myself inependent kind of person.  I'd help anyone I could, but rarely needed help for myself.  It's going to be a lesson in humility, but I'll smile if it kills me!

My oldest grandson will be 12 while I'm there.  I can't believe he'll be a teen ager next year.  Following right behind him  turning 12 in December is Autumn.  I hope I last long enough to see them all in their teens (and laugh when their parents complain). 

There are a few small items I wanted to buy for the trip but just don't like to shop these days.  All the time I've been at home with recovering from one thing and another, has been kind of nice, and I end up with spare cash at the end of the month!  I also enjoy it more when I do get out.

As usual I write too much when I get started.  This was going to be a short post!  As my kids would say, I have 5 more "wake-ups" till I leave.  

12 comments:

  1. Hi, I envy you your train trip. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.I just wanted to tell you that my bank recommended I use a credit card when I was on my last trip. She said it was much easier for the bank to deal with a credit card if, by any chance, my card got stolen or copied. As careful as we try to be, "they" are out there looking for ways to steal from us. Have fun!!
    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for relating your bank's recommendation. I can see how it would be much easier when travelling, especially across the country. When I get back I'm going to put my credit card away in a safe place until I pay it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fond memories of my train trips with my parents when I was a child. I know you will enjoy yourself.

    I am looking forward to accompanying you vicariously on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get frantic just now, knowing I am going to forget something crucial!

      Delete
  4. I agree with June. With a credit card you aren't responsible for charges you don't maje. With a debit, they have your money. I actually never use a debit. I use my credit card luke a checkbook and subtract the entries from my account so I know I can pay the bill in full when it comes. I've never paid any interest. It sure is easier to have plenty of money if you stay home. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, and as long as I have cash for tips etc., I can always get along with just the credit card.

      Delete
  5. I travelled on trains maybe half a dozen times or more many years ago and always loved it. The gentle rock and sway of the coach, the clickity click of the wheels and how nice to just sit back in a comfortable seat and watch the scenery go by. How nice not to have any driving stress. No big old clumsy RV worries, no tanks to dump and no hitching up to do. Enjoy your trip:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to relax and enjoy everything, I always loved the drive, but without having a four-legged pal along with me it's just not as fun anymore. We always traveled the back roads, and when I stopped to let her out, the cows in the fields would always come in a huge group to see her. It was the sweetest thing.

      Delete
  6. No matter how much you pack, you always seem to forget something important. You can't take everything with you. If you have money or a credit card, you can always purchase what you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is a minor item I don't mind purchasing another one, but I hate to spend very much because I missed packing it.

      Delete
  7. Yes, credit card is the way to go when travelling. A debit card hack can wipe out your checking account and connected savings or lines of credit accounts as well! Excited to see your new adventure with the train. I would like to do that someday too.

    KarenInTheWoods and Steveio
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    (Blog) RVing: The USA Is Our Big Backyard
    https://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I never have given it much thought. I withdrew some cash today because I prefer to pay cash anyway, but when that runs out I'll definitely use the credit card. It's good to hear from you by the way. I didn't think I'd ever be traveling again, and really miss my cross country drives. This train trip will be fun for me, I hope.

      Delete