Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, December 3, 2016

I need to get moving!

I've been sitting around for too long and it's driving me crazy.  I think I  should do some walking since I've really fallen behind on my vow to walk every day.

Breakfast was interesting this morning.   I cooked grits to which I added salt, pepper, cheddar and a splash of milk.  It was pretty good although I don't think I'd want it every morning.  When I was backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, I carried the individual serving packets of Quaker grits, some were flavored with bacon bits, cheese, etc.  Add boiling water, stir, and voila!  I probably ate four packets every morning and probably could have, and should have, doubled that.  There comes a limit to what you can carry, although they were light enough in weight.   I've tried a packet of them since and don't know how I found them so tasty, but when you are hungry and in the woods I guess lots of things are tasty that you wouldn't eat at home.

I followed my grits with a dish of ice cream with a splash of chocolate topping.   It may sound good, and I love it, but it's definitely not breakfast food.   I don't like this very limited diet that is so high in carbs, and often in sugar, and I think I will have some difficulty getting back to a nutritious low carb, lo sugar diet when I can eat regular foods again.   My dentist recommended Carnation Instant Breakfast as something that is nutritious and easy to eat in my circumstances.   Since I got excellent advice against the Ensure, which most doctors and hospitals say is good for you, I'm wondering what your take on the Carnation breakfast is.  Things like that don't sound very appetizing to me in the first place, but if it would add lots of calories (and not just sugar) I might try it.

I am sitting in the middle of the biggest mess I've made in a long time.  Because I don't feel like moving around a lot, I just bring everything I need into the living room with me, and every available space is covered with "stuff".  I'm going to have one heckuva cleaning job to do one of these days.  OK, I'm not getting anything done just sitting here, so I'll say "have a great weekend, and I'll see ya next time."  

8 comments:

  1. I did a quick "google" and ran across Healthline's take on Carnation Breakfast.

    http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/is-carnation-instant-breakfast-healthy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet I really appreciate your taking the time to look that up. I just returned from the grocery and took a look at the product - when there is so much on a label I get suspicious. I notice that while I bought all organic products today, the only thing I'm looking at on the labels is calories, which isn't good. I know I'm getting too much sugar, whether it's called carbohydrates or just plain sugar. Something will have to give, but I need to wait until I get the sutures out and begin the long healing process.

      What I don't understand is that doctors and dentists can read. How can they prescribe stuff like this without at least looking objectively at a label or a website. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. I think that ice-cream can cure all ills (grin). My wife just made a big batch of split pea soup. Wow!! Do I like that. I could hurt myself eating it. . . but she wouldn't let me do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream cures a lot of ills but it also gives you a few you might not want. If I lived closer I would drop in and say "Oh, are you guys eating split pea soup? I haven't had any of that for a long time."

      Delete
  3. If you like a little spice put a tablespoon or two of Rotel tomatoes in your grits.
    Or cook the grits for 2 minutes then drop a egg down in them and stir the grits up and cook for 30 seconds more. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the variations. I might try one of them the next time I cook grits. I guess there is no end to what you can do by using a little imagination.

      Delete
  4. I've received 3 more comments on my previous post "I'm so hungry". I won't respond on that blog post because by now few people would go back except possibly those who are catching up. So I will say to Janet, Ms. Belinds and Brenda, that I appreciate your comments. I plan to post a little more about what's happened to me in the past 24-48 hours due to my restricted diet and to what I thought I could safely eat. I'll post about it later today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Polenta is just yellow grits, but somehow is much more appealing to me. If you have some broth of some kind, it is nice to use that instead of water to cook it. I use a splash of half and half near the end of the cooking time, and this makes it nice and creamy. Other good add-ins are: Cheddar or Swiss cheese, pepper jack cheese for a bit of a kick, or some grated Romano. Roasted red or green peppers, even from a jar, are good. Of course the ultimate for me is to poach two duck eggs on the side for integrating with the prepared polenta. It's good with sauteed mushrooms on top, too.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete