Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Becoming stressed

As I always do before travel, I am becoming very stressed and emotional.  I'm lucky it didn't happen sooner, although all the family get togethers probably helped.

I have dropped my camera so many times that the battery compartment won't close properly.  I just drove to Costco, where the cheapest point and shoot is $180!   Best Buy is almost as bad and I don't feel like driving in that direction.  I filled up the gas tank at Costco at $2.249/gal, which is down a few cents from the last time.  I also stopped at the car wash and got the car looking decent.  I didn't wash it at all during the drought and it looked awful.  With the dirt that blows into my driveway I have no illusions about it staying clean, but at least all the old grime is gone.

I don't know what I will do about the camera - maybe try duct tape.  I would like to buy a new one but need to look around a bit.  It's not something I want to buy at Target or Walmart, although their products might be just as good as anywhere else.  I want a model that is simple to use, has understandable icons and print that I can read.

I'm mostly packed although I have to gather the small sizes of toiletries that I'm taking.  Thank goodness for the KonMari method of folding clothes.  It's simply amazing how much easier it is to pack and how much less space everything takes.  I wrapped the 2 bottles of champagne in bubble wrap plus a rubbery type of wrap, and hope it doesn't explode in my luggage, which I'm checking on the plane.  Without my laptop I can easily pack a much smaller and lighter carryon.

I have dismantled my TV connection and think I have all the equipment described except for one item - what AT&T refers to as the Wireless Access Point (WAP).  They include diagrams of all the pieces to be returned but I can't find anything that looks like the WAP!   I have been careful to not mess with the modem and related wires, and it hasn't been easy even using a flashlight to try to see everything.  I have come to detest technology, and it isn't going away.  Everything is so much more complex and harder to understand, although I acknowledge it has more features and does more.   Thankfully I don't have a big flat screen to worry about.  Maybe when I get back I'll try to do something to get the local news channel I watch for weather reports.  It would really be retro to go back to rabbit ears!

I may do a short post tomorrow and then that's it until I get back from Alaska!

14 comments:

  1. "It would really be retro to go back to rabbit ears!" No not at all, that's what we use. We get the local channels plus PBS. One of the PBS channels is classical music, so that is my background noise. I'm sure the neighbors wonder about me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I want is local and maybe PBS, although I think NPR news is getting to be as bad as cable & network news. I'm hoping 10 days in Alaska without TV or internet will unhook me from the junk that is available. Now classical music I would enjoy!

      Delete
  2. A little stress is good, a lot of stress is hazardous to your health and mental status.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might worry about it but it's been happening to me as far back as I can remember. It's not so much stress but the feeling that my mind is a million miles away and I can't think straight. I will be sad to say goodbye for now to my oldest son and his family. I'm not sure if I'll travel to NY again, unless I feel like I can drive. I don't think I could face that plane trip again.

      Delete
  3. If you can get the tape on there solid it shoulr work but try it before you don't have a chance to get a new camera. Walmart has great cameras and they are just like the ones from the other bigger stores. they also have great extended warrenties.
    If you don't get back on line before your leave have a fantastic trip and enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on buying a camera at Walmart. I won't get one before my travels but I may look for a new one when I get back.

      Delete
  4. I understand perfectly, for some reason I become stressed out as well when I have to travel, even just to San Antonio. I am not even able to sleep the night before.

    My camera needs replacing but there is a very limited selection at our local Walmart. Since they are the only game in town, as I do not like to buy things like that online, it will have to wait.

    Have a great trip to Alaska!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping my camera will last for the Alaska trip. I like the pictures it takes, although with my limited eyesight I can't tell the difference lately between the good and the not-so-good.

      I always get anxious and have trouble concentrating before a trip, but today I felt like crying all day long (I didn't let myself go down that road, though). I really don't know why as I'm not sad, except for us coming to the end of a super wonderful week. I don't get all my kids together at one time very often and I have really cherished this week.

      Delete
  5. P.S. Thanks for posting the gasoline price :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. The price was lower than usual and there were no lines, so I jut had to fill up.

      Delete
  6. We had a roof top antenna at the farm and rabbit ears in town and did quite well. I think you will too. Hope your camera works for you in Alaska. It would be a shame if you couldn't have pictures you chose although those with you will probably have plenty of pictures for you too. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping I can fix something up when I get back, but even if I can't it doesn't matter. I haven't been watching much TV for the last month. Now if I can just get unhooked from the internet. My family all use their phones to take pictures and I never see most of them. They post on Facebook quickly enough but can't send Mom a copy! I wonder if they still sell the disposable cameras with film already loaded? I probably couldn't find any place to develop the film!

      Delete
  7. Have a wonderful trip ! What great memories you have from all your
    travels.
    Just think of all the triple digit heat you will get to miss .
    Safe travels to you😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It will get up to 104 in Sac today, so what a send-off! I think it is going to seem cold in Alaska by comparison, but I've packed the clothes for it.

      Delete