Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

A better day today

Yesterday went well, and the local anesthetic didn't wear off until after 6pm.  I had a little pain which wasn't unbearable, more like an ache, and more like what I felt when I incurred the original injury.  I didn't take anything for it.  I kept thinking of my Mother, and anyone near my age who was raised Catholic will remember the words, "Offer it up!".  I hope she is smiling as much as I am.  I have to enjoy thinking that my Dad got me to my appointment on time, and that my Mom is still offering me advice!

I ended up going to bed around 8pm, while it was still daylight.  Getting the arm in a position that didn't pull on the injured site was sometimes a problem, as I am constantly turning from side to side during the night.  This morning I had to clean the site and rebandage it.  It was not easy as I am right handed, and trying to wrap a bandage around my arm with one hand is difficult.  They gave me a small packet that contained Vaseline, along with instructions that included a statement to the effect that while Polysporin and Neosporin are advertised, they are known to cause allergic reactions; that Vaseline is just as good and doesn't cause allergies.  That fits my beliefs that OTC products are over-marketed and not any better, if even as good as, the natural equivalent.

I bought a package of photo corners at Michael's this morning, and will use them to hold the small photos on a 3 x 5 card, which will fit into the album slot.  I remember photograph albums in the old days - black pages with "photo holders" at the 4 corners of a picture to keep it in place.  What goes around, comes around!  I was going to work on that project this afternoon but think I will wait until I'm back to 100% (or at least close).

The weather is beautiful today - a high expected to be 71, with a good cool breeze.  This is my idea of perfect weather, and it can't get any better than this.

I'd appreciate comments from anyone who has now, or has used a Tom Tom GPS, especially if you can compare it to a Garmin.  I loved the first Garmin I had which lasted me for years, but the last 2 have been absolute junk!  I don't want anything elaborate or that performs thousands of functions or has millions of POI's, just a plain GPS that can get me around in areas I'm not familiar with.  I doubt I will ever make any more long driving trips, but I would like to think I could get around in CA and surrounding states if I want to.  Best Buy has a Tom Tom on sale that looks like it would suit me fine, but if there is something about Tom Tom I should know, please give me a shout!  Thanks.

6 comments:

  1. Can't help with GPS, I threw my Garmin out years ago and rely on my phone with google maps which USUALLY will get me where I need to be. Glad to hear that everything went well with your surgery and that you are a shock to your doctor on no meds. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My phone doesn't have maps, but I don't think I could refer to a phone while I'm driving. I used to hang the GPS on the driver's side window and it was a quick glance to see the map. I'm so glad that surgery is over and will be happy when the stitches are removed in 2 wks and i can forget about it. I'm going to try to go to the gym this evening but there aren't many things I can do that don't involve my arms, and I have learned the hard way to not stretch my right arm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give your arm some time to heal before you do too much with it. You don't want to impede the healing process by irritating it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to want to do things more when I'm supposed to be taking it easy - guess it's boredom. One time I had pneumonia and was off work for 2 weeks - by the 2nd week I was washing the walls and ceiling in the bathroom!

      Delete
  4. I had a mole removed from my temple a while back and yep they told me to use Vaseline, worked just fine. Hope it heels quickly.
    I told you I have a TomTom the first one was easy this one no. Hope the one you are looking into will be easy. Maybe the cheaper models are easier to use but I don't think I spent alot on mine. I still like TomTom better than Garmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to drive out to Best Buy and take a look at the TomTom. I read some reviews, and it evidently doesn't tell you it's recalculating. I often go the way I know rather than follow directions, and don't know how the TomTom would react.

      Delete