Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, April 4, 2016

I sure don't like the weather

Today has been bearable, but tomorrow will be 82, followed by 86 and 81.   Then rain is predicted by the weekend along with much cooler temps.

I'm humming right along with organizing and discarding stuff, and today I dug into some of the photographs.  Since mine were mixed in with Jeannie's I mostly tried to separate mine, and discard those I couldn't identify, dark or out of focus, people I didn't remember, duplicates, etc.  I have months to go with this job and I still haven't come up with a way to organize and keep them.  I think it would require too many photo albums, and I have quite a few albums that I haven't even gotten into yet.  I want the photos to look at - not pictures on a computer.  I already have plenty of those, but to tell you the truth, I would much rather hold a photo in my hand and look at it.

I did the sentimental things - cards, etc., but as yet I haven't been able to read them because I know I will cry.  One card that particularly struck me with joy was a birthday card from my young adult kids.  Each one of them wrote a little paragraph rather than just sign their names.  I know that is going to send my spirits soaring when I read it.  

On watching TV - I've heard a lot lately about the re-release of some of the old "X" Files movies.   I found 10 programs on my recorder this morning and played the first one.  That lasted less than 5 minutes!  I don't care for movies and dramatizations, although I like to read the book, so I just erased all 10 episodes.  I still don't understand all the fuss about "The 'X' Files", and guess I never will.

Even at 7 pm the sun is still shining brightly, which just shows how dirty my windows and screens are!

9 comments:

  1. I have printed six or so pictures on one 8.5" x 11" thick paper. The six pictures on each sheet are related to each other. This takes some time, so as you can guess, I have only done a few like that. I have a lot of digital pictures. I started taking digital pictures way back when the camera used 3.5" floppy disks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thousands of photos on two different computers, and I don't have the time or equipment to print all of those. If I ever thought about printing them, I think I would store them on disks or flash drives and take them to Costco or a place like that for printing. Sounds like a plan! What I need to do is figure out how to organize and store the photos I have, which probably means albums.

      Delete
  2. I still have one more closet to do and I keep forgetting all about it. but it needs to get done.

    We are heading into some high temps here and I am not looking forward to them Wed. they are calling for 92. and high 80's all the way into next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I just about die of heat stroke in the 90's!

      Delete
  3. This evening I thought of you as I watched Tiny House Hunters on HGTV. This lady was downsizing from a large home after a divorce, her daughter graduating from college and her son starting college, so she decided to buy a tiny house.

    The reason it reminded me of you is because she had to downsize and get rid of a lot of stuff to be able to make her new lifestyle a reality.

    You brought up photographs and I had not even thought of that until now. I too would rather hold a picture in my hand than see it on my computer. I have so many pictures from my 20 years at the Chili Cook-off and only six years are digital.

    Best of luck and looking forward to learning from your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The purging of stuff and downsizing is not difficult if you really decide and want to do it. It sounds worse than it actually is, and it's so nice to unload things you haven't thought of or used in years, and won't ever use again. I subscribe to a weekly email that has links to tiny homes and it's interesting how efficient some of them can be, while others are just plain out of the question. I could never climb a ladder5 into a loft, although I might be able to go up stairs, for example.

      I think with the ease of using the phone as a camera, people take way too many pictures that they probably won't ever look at again. I don't take photos unless it's of something or someone that is meaningful to me.

      Delete
  4. Your last sentence is just too funny. I laughed out loud! I too like to have pictures to hold even though they really aren't as good as anything I take in digital that is on my laptop. I used to do photo albums but they were too bulky so I got photo boxes. They look like index boxes or recipe boxes but they are long and photo sized. You can put hundreds of pictures with separators that tell when or what the ones behind it are for or from like in the old Library card catalogs. I really liked them and they saved a lot of space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's just a matter of personal opinion. I think my paper photos are so much better than the digital. I might try to find photo boxes and take a look. I have quite a few albums, some of which are only fractionally used, so I could consolidate and use those spaces. The boxes seem like they would take less space. I have already thrown away well over 100 pictures, probably more. If I count all the duplicates, I've probably discarded several hundred.

      Delete
  5. Hi Gypsy I had a lot of photos too but I organized them in decorative boxes that look like the shape of a shoe box and used recipe index cards to identify what they are. It works great when you want to look for a particular event and easier to find. It took about 6 of these boxes after I whittled them down like you are doing. Things that didn't matter or unidentifiable great rainy day project. Hope this helps Kathy-It's about time.

    ReplyDelete