Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Books on a rainy day

I ventured out this morning with a list - the library was first.   For those of you who like Nevada Barr, she has a new Anna Pigeon mystery, "Destroyer Angel".  In all the other books Anna was a Park Ranger with the National Parks System, but from the little blurb inside the cover it sounds as if she may be retired.  In this story she goes on a camping trip with several other women.  I am looking forward to getting into the story, although if it gets too gruesome I won't read any further.  Some of the other books were like that - I love a good mystery but not when extreme violence, torture, and the like are involved.

I then went to Costco to pick up a prescription.   They told me it would be 15 or 20 minutes, which was enough time to wander back into the food section.  I should know better than to even look at the food aisles when I'm hungry, and this was lunchtime, around Noon.   I nearly bought a box of frozen cream puffs but decided against it when I noted the box said "110 puffs".  I'm sure they were small, which just means I would eat more at one time.  I did manage to slip into my cart a box of frozen biscuits, supposedly containing real butter and cream cheese.  I had a few of them when I got home, with two eggs over easy.  I put three biscuits on the tray but two would have been plenty.   They were okay, but certainly not my grandmother's biscuits!   A loaf of Greenlee's Cinnamon bread also fell into my cart but I put the box of Danish back on the shelf.  I love that store!

The trip to the dentist revealed that I need some cavities filled, but worse than that, I will be needing surgery.  Years ago I was advised by my doctor to take Boniva, which supposedly builds bone when in fact it often causes women to lose bone.  I have had very detrimental effects from it, including bone loss in my jaw.  The bone has formed an uncomfortable growth and needs to be removed.  Can you imagine how painful that will be, and what in the world will I eat to keep from losing weight.  I've thought a lot about it, and it looks like lots of protein shakes are in my future.  I can deal with cooked cereal for breakfast, but that certainly isn't enough to fill me up or maintain weight.   I shouldn't stress out over that so much right now because I won't do it until after the first of the year.  This is open season for my health insurance, so I've added dental insurance to what I already have.  I'm sure Medicare and my Blue Cross will go up, and adding the dental plan will cause health insurance to skyrocket.  I might as well forget about traveling much in the future.

Today and tomorrow are chilly days in the mid-50's, with rain off and on.   It seems warmer outside than it is in my house!

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the medical and dental issues. Sure hope you get them taken care of, and you can be comfortable again. Don't like the sound of no more camping though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could this surgery be considered a medical issue and not a dental issue so that your medical insurance could cover the cost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's surgery I agree with Teri that it might be a medicare cost and not a dental insurance cost. I agree about Nevada Barr. I really loved her earlier mysteries but some of them got pretty gruesome later on and I skipped them. Don't worry about the camping until you are sure it's not possible. You just never know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Destroyer Angel and thought it was pretty good. It is suspenceful but not as gruesome as The Rope. I had a hard time reading that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care for gruesome reading or romance garbage. Like a good mystery or American history.

    Didn't you recently have a lot of dental work done? can't imagine these things turning up so fast. I can understand the bone lose from meds. Some of these medications cause more problems than they cure..

    It's a good thing I don't have a Costco card I'd be in so much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your dental procedure. Hopefully you will still travel though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would eat a lot of mac n cheese with ground meat in it, tuna salad, ham salad, chicken salad. Those foods are easy to eat, taste good, and high in fat and protein. I'm trying to keep my weight up, struggling with COPD, so I've researched this a lot.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete