Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 29, 2014

Roller Derby!

On Sunday I attended another birthday party for Justin, this one for his school friends.  We all met at a roller rink in Hyde Park, and the kids skated along with any adults who wanted to try it.  Adults could walk along with their kids who were a bit unsteady on the skates.  About midway through the party the rink served a lunch of pizza and lemonade, and Mike & Sandy provided a beautiful birthday cake.  Then it was back out on the floor for more skating. 

I gave it a lot of thought - mostly as to what could happen to me if I fell - but I really wanted to try it.  I believe I've only skated in a rink one other time in my life, and that was back when I was in high school.  I didn't really care for it, and ice skating was my thing.

I decided "what the hell, go for it!".  I was wobbly the first time around the rink and kept pretty much to the railing around the perimeter.  The second and third times I got a little better (although by no means ready to leave the safety of the nearby railing).  I think if I had skated a few more times I would have felt more natural at it, but I figured I should act my age and stop before I caused myself any damage.   I gave myself a mental "big girl pat"though!  (Click to enlarge photos)




Thanks to Sandy's Aunt Liz for holding my hand as I got started.  It was enough to carry me through to the stage where I felt I could do it myself.  The last picture is of Josh and Justin who were complete naturals at skating.

Today (Monday) Liz and I met a friend of hers in Newburgh and had a loooong lunch at a nice restaurant on the Hudson River.  It was so pleasant and the food was the best.  I even had New York Cheesecake for dessert!  Liz dropped me back here at Mike and Sandy's, and then drove to her home in New Rochelle.  

This has been a wonderful 3 weeks for me, with a lot of totally different things to do.  I had a wonderful visit in Northern Virginia, a great excursion to NYC and the Intrepid, and then a roller skating event - something I never thought I would do.  The best part was all the interaction and fun with family.

I will be traveling tomorrow, but I hope to be blogging more regularly after a few days of rest.

11 comments:

  1. Wow!! You roller skated girl!! I think roller skating is 100 times harder than ice skating. The last time I tried roller skating, and that was over 20 years ago, I ran into my wife and knocked her down and then hit her on the head with one of my skates. I never tried it again after that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you at giving it a try. I used to enjoy roller skating when I was younger. But, I never could ice skate worth a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW I am impressed good for you. I used to love to skate when I was a kid. But wouldn't dare do it now.

    You certainly had a wonderful vacation I am so happy for you.

    Get some rest when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud of you for giving roller skating a go. I think I only tried it once in high school.

    I can't believe three weeks have gone by so fast. Have a safe and pleasant trip back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is no way I would attempt to even stand up on those skates. Way to go!!! You really have racked up wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Roller Skating was very popular in Chicago when I was growing up. I never could get comfortable with it. Hurt too much to fall down. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you! If you love ice skating you should have tried on a pair of in-line roller skates. In-line roller skating is more like ice skating. Not all roller skating places have the in-lines though.

    Have fun traveling tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! :^) I haven't been on roller skates since high school, and then only a few times. I'd probably fall and break something if I tried it now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you. I would never get those skates on in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. well since you roller skated for your grandson Justin's Party, I'm sure you'll have no problem Rock Climbing at Liam's next party:-)

    Glad you had a great visit, and happy you are home safe!

    Steve-

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this, Gypsy! I think I'm caught up with ya ... glad you had such a great time and you're looking great!

    ReplyDelete