Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 5, 2013

Sunday, Aug 4--Hat Creek, CA

After driving 210 miles I found a nice camp site at Rocky CG in the Lassen National Forest.  It is right off the road and I can hear occasional traffic, but most of the noise is drowned out by the creek rushing behind my site, and the birds.

First things first.  I set up the Stanley brothers (sounds like a Bluegrass Group) and I'm naming them Carter & Ralph, after Carter & Ralph Stanley, of course.



The campground is called Rocky CG and while I was looking for Bridge CG I stopped a little too short.  It lives up to its name and has big rocks and boulders everywhere.  I decided to set up my small tent because there wasn't a large enough level spot for the big one.

  

The creek that I'm camped up the hill from makes the lovliest sound that will croon me to sleep tonight.



I had a small campfire with only sticks and small pieces of wood that are lying everywhere.  Before turning in I walked a couple of steps to the fire ring so as to stir the embers, but in the dark I stepped back and didn't sit down close enough to the chair, which fell over and I banged my tailbone into a big rock.  It still hurts, but not nearly as bad as it did shortly after I fell.


The tent is definitely harder to get in and out of than the big one, but it is fast to set up and take down and perfect for one person.  It would be better if that one person was about 15 years younger, though.

After paying $3.59/gallon for fuel in Sac, I topped up the tank in Old Station for $4.39!  I hope Oregon is cheaper, but I'm afraid it's not.

I arrived at Lava Beds National Monument this morning after a drive of about 100 miles.  Beautiful scenery - you can see Mt. Shasta from almost anywhere you are along the route.  There is still pretty much snow on the peak, and even Lassen Peak has some snowy patches.

I'll post about Lava Beds tomorrow.

 

15 comments:

  1. Well the fire is nice too bad you didn't bring your fly rod and have some fish on it for dinner, sorry about your butt must of been a real pain in the...Ohhh I can't say it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you're on your way! Nice looking campsite with your fire and tent. Big, too. I think I'd use the little one all the time unless the weather wasn't going to be good. Then it might be nice to have a little more room to move around. If you only sleeping - the easier one to put up and take down would be my choice.

    Drive safe... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hot dang girl, you camp'n. You have took on a camp'n trip I could only dream about.....sheesh, 4500 miles. An' you sleep'n in a little tissue paper tent bout the size a sardine can. But that what I would do if'n it took over 5 minutes to set up a big 'un.
    I envy you and your determination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, bout that butt. Git ya some butter an' rub on it. The butter won't help, but the rub'n will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all sounds wonderful and I love the pictures. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Banging a tailbone is so painful and it lasts so long. Hope you have some Motrin or something like that along. I bet the sounds of that creek were music to your ears.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a great camping spot there. Don't let the sound of the creek keep you awake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your campsite looks so relaxing ... the sound of the water... oh joy

    sorry about your tailbone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Better put a flashlight in your pocket! Glad to hear a report from on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW...beautiful campsite...and so much room!! Wish we were there with you!! Auti wants to know which one of the Stanley brothers is Carter and which one is Ralph. :) Bummer about your fall...tailbone pain is the worst! Hope it doesn't last long!! Miss you and looking forward to hearing from you again soon!!
    Love, Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your campsite is beautiful and I bet the creek was the perfect sound to fall asleep to [as you said.]

    Now watch out for those rocks lady! We like having you around. I do have to admit to saying "Ouch" out loud when I read that and I hope the soreness has gone away.

    Gas has gone up .20 cents over the weekend here, but still not as expensive as out there. I just wonder what Big oil thinks we are supposed to do? It is ridiculous. I feel like sometimes I have to choose between food for the family or gas to get Pooldad to work. I am so happy to have Ozcarz [great gas mileage and probably the biggest reason we picked him to buy] but sometimes even I can't afford gas just to make a round trip to the store. Sad.

    Anyhoodle. Enjoy your camping and trip. Please stay safe and watch where you're sitting. hee Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great looking traditional camp site!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad to see you on the road. I was a tent camper for my entire life until 3 years ago and there are many many parts of it that I really miss. Love your pictures of your tent and campfire. So sorry you got a boo boo your first night out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can hear that stream! So pleasant to fall asleep to. Lava Beds and Lassen - two of our favorite spots. Please take an extra long look for me! ;->

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry about getting hurt. I hope today it feels better. I have been gone so just catching up. So happy you are camping. Ya!

    ReplyDelete