Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Books and Authors

I've been corresponding with my granddaughter, Ara, who is studying for her Master's Degree in Writing.  We've been discussing authors, and my all-time favorite is John Steinbeck.  Just thinking about it makes me wish I could go to the library and check out a stack of his works - I  guess "Grapes of Wrath" would be my all-time favorite, but I really loved all of them, including "Travels With Charley".  "Travels" starts out with the line, "You don't take a trip; a trip takes you!"   Remembering my many trips throughout my life, I can attest to the veracity of this quote!

I sure wish I could check out a stack of library  books, but my vision is just too poor these days.  And don't mention books on tape - most I've tried have been read so slowly and distinctly that I lost interest in the first minute or two.  I think that even the large-print would be difficult for me to follow now, although I should try it again.

My granddaughter, Autumn, needs a special dress for a special occasion, and since nothing could be found in Sacramento, Jeannie and the girls drove to San Francisco this morning.  I sure hope they get lucky!  San Francisco has always been one of my favorite cities in the entire world, but I sure wouldn't want to go there, or anywhere else, at this point.  I do hope I can leave the house for a few hours this weekend to go check on the status of the new house.  Moving in still seems like a long way off (a little over 2 months if we are lucky).

I don't know what to do about my balance and walking these days.  Even in my house I have fallen and the last time I really hurt my ribs  - they take a long time to heal.  There's nothing I can do except wait to feel better.  I would even look at getting a walker, but can't imagine maneuvering around a house with one of those.  If any of my readers has experience with using a walker, please write to me and give me your opinions, experiences, etc.  How steady are they?  I would hate to trip and fall, and bring the walker down over me!  Just the image of that happening has made me lose the urge to get a walker! 

10 comments:

  1. A lady relative of mine finally got a walker after resisting for some long time. Suddenly she could get around so much better that she complained we did not push her hard enough. Of course she was the one who steadfastly refused to even try a rental unit for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used a walker for a couple of weeks after my hip replacement. It was very helpful for walking, but even more so for carting things from place to place by putting them in a large dishpan on the seat of the walker. It's been almost two years since the surgery, but I still use the walker as a "goods transporter" from time to time. Some of them have a seat, plus a bag underneath the seat. The brand I have is Rollator. Here is a URL for this particular one.

    https://www.carewell.com/product/mckesson-adjustable-height-4-wheel-rollator-6-wheels/?sku=146-RTL10261RD-EA1&g_network=u&g_productchannel=online&g_adid=505662273339&g_keyword=&g_adtype=&g_keywordid=pla-1192199508936&g_ifcreative=&g_adgroupid=119643430975&g_productid=29556&g_campaign=TOF+-+Smart+Shopping+%7C+NB+LTV+%7C%7C+Daily+Living&g_merchantid=114738081&g_partition=1192199508936&g_campaignid=12530042332&g_acctid=333-280-7133&g_ifproduct=product&gclid=CjwKCAjw8KmLBhB8EiwAQbqNoJVt2TpUmguEtEcfpy4OVm7_hMABTATzKHtq8ENWf6eo8luiqy1v1RoCnhMQAvD_BwE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one. I would recommend you get one. They have wheels and some with seats, too. You would have no problem negotiating rooms in your house. Gives you confidence to have something to hang onto. Maybe you could get a rental one, use it for couple of days, then decide on buying one from your experience with the rental. Bought mine from Wal-Mart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to be having problems commenting lately hmm
    I had one that I used after having knee replacement at 2 diferent times. I was a blessing as it helped me to get around and do things for myself since I live alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a brand new, never used rollator with a 22 inch seat that you're welcome to if you'd like. It's silver blue with a seat that has storage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I listen to audio books from my local library on my phone and the book has a speed control at the top of the screen that you can increase if you want them to talk faster. I am so sorry to hear that you cannot read the large print books. My kindle has print enlargement and you can make it huge if you want to. How are you able to see the things you are typing to posy on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, vote for a walker. One transformed my mother's life cause she could get around the house and do things again. Like Sherry said, you can speed up the audio books to a speed you like. Give them another try. And two months will probably go really fast. So hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have your physician refer you to a physical therapist They will make sure the walker fits you and show you how to use it safely. A walker did wonders for my mother She never did fall with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for the comments on using a walker. I am definitely going to look into one, and think the idea of seeing a physical therapist makes a lot of sense. I doubt there is much difference in various walkers, but there might be more than I realize. I'll keep you posted of what I find out, and am going to get in touch with my doctor now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Dear Friend,
    It’s been a long time since we last communicated. I’d love a chat. I’m in So Cal these days. Please email me and give me your contact numbers. Jillpatriciasilva@gmail






    ReplyDelete