Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, August 18, 2018

We don't like the heat!

Neither Rocky nor I like this heat.  He goes outdoors reluctantly and wants to come back in before long.  I was a little worried because I haven't seen this kind of behavior in any of my previous puppies, but I doubt if I ever had them in triple digit weather either.  I did take him for a longer than usual walk early this morning before it got too hot.

It is marginally better inside, as a swamp cooler doesn't work very well when the temperatures are really high.  It looks like we will have to wait until October to get some decent weather.

I checked Rocky's health record and note that he needs one more parvovirus shot in about 2 weeks.  It will be so much more convenient when we can use the dog park, although I won't take him in there when too many dogs are present because the main crowd ignores their animals.  There are some really nice folks who bring their pets in when it's less crowded, and I'm looking forward to getting to know them and their dogs.

So that's about it for today.  I am a bit frustrated that I'm not making better progress with the training, but he absolutely prefers being in the house.  It might be different if I had some grass nearby.  My son Steven thinks we can take up a large patch of the gravel & rocks in the back "yard" and plant grass, so maybe I should think of that, but when the weather is cooler.   There is so much to do as I couldn't keep up with trimming plants and bushes the past year or two.  Now I have a bit more energy and will try again.

What a Saturday this has been - I have done absolutely nothing!  Maybe tomorrow I'll have a little more energy, if only I could get a decent night's sleep.  Rocky didn't have to go out during the night, but I made up for it getting up several times!  What has happened to my life???  I can recall when I looked forward to Saturday nights, dancing and partying.   

16 comments:

  1. It's me again - I just walked Rocky down to the corner and back, and we passed the dog park. A horde of loud barking dogs came running to the fence barking at my puppy, and the women (their owners) just sat there and laughed! The woman who "cackles" was the worst, and I'm so darn mad I would have taken him inside the fence and let him bark back at them, but they can just keep that territory. When he's old enough I'll just take him during the day when the nicer folks are there. How I wish I could move!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are being smart to keep Rocky away from other dogs until he has his last parvo injection. Who knows if those using the dog park are keeping their dogs up to date with their shots. Rocky is going to be a gorgeous boy when he "grows up."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat is getting to both Rocky and me. He won't stay outdoors any longer than he has to, and I have felt really "down" today. Then just a few minutes ago Rocky chewed the end off my computer charger. I would love to cry but I hate doing that so I just keep going. One of my sons wants to bring us over to his house tomorrow so Rocky can play with his big dog, Sammy. They have a "real" backyard so maybe Rocky will enjoy being in the grass. All he has here is blacktop and rocks.

      Delete
  3. The heat really can get us down. Seems like Rocky is just being a puppy chewing on the charger. Going to your son's sound like a great idea and I am sure their dog has all of his shots, etc. Enjoy your day and remember one day at a time.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son ended up bringing his 2 kids over for a while and they took Rocky for a long walk. He also rigged up a really nice "fence" to keep him on the porch, and we can sit out there in the morning when it's cool.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you with this heat already. Fred doesn't like it either and runs to the yard and right back to the house. I know those stones are hot for his feet so he tries to stay in the shaded area. I keep hearing people soon it will be fall, I'm waiting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay in shade as well, but it's difficult at certain times of the day. All there is around here is rocks and hot pavement. I'm frustrated with that.

      Delete
  5. The heat is horrible here as well and I feel sorry for the cats but I can not bring them inside, they seem to be OK with it but I feel guilty.

    Potty training was difficult that is why I have only had one official dog in my life. After he died decided that was it for me even though life brought me four stray dogs and then five of Tammy's puppies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all coming back to me now - the difficulties with potty training. Hopefully it won't last long.

      Delete
  6. "What has happened to my life??? I can recall when I looked forward to Saturday nights, dancing and partying."

    I frequently ask myself that same question!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It takes a lot of time and patients to train a pup.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure how I'd deal with the heat here in the Valley outside Great Smoky Mountain National Park if I didn't have AC. I don't blame either of you for not wanting to be outside. I'm in the park every minute I can because of the cooler temperatures at the higher elevation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived in Asheville for 5 years and it was wonderful year-around. And I have always loved the Smoky Mountains.

      Delete