Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Response to some of the comments from yesterday's post:

Sandra, the pictures are exquisite!  I really enjoyed looking through them, and if other readers are interested in seeing some of the area I hope to be traveling through, please visit the link posted by Sandra:
http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/183rd_camp_lake_superior_2009 

As for the loading up on the car, I am pretty good in my own right, although I know I would lose interest and focus before I finished and would start throwing things wherever I could.  So I usually have one of my kids pack for me before a long trip because I know how methodical and meticulous they can be with it.  I'll be there and will know where to find everything, but even if I wasn't the order of packing will be so logical I could find everything anyway. 

When I first thought about driving the loop around Lake Superior in Ontario, I got my passport from where I usually keep it and put it in a zipped compartment of my purse.  It expires in 2019, but I double checked and yep, I'm good to go to 17 Nov 2019.  I hope I'm around and still traveling when it's time to get another renewal, although I hope they have a nicer design by then.  I liked the passports I had prior to this one, which is about the worst I have ever seen.  I suppose it is designed to cut down on counterfeiting, but all that background junk on the pages is not pretty in my opinion.

I got some things crossed off my list today but still have a few more to do by Friday.  Half my bed is taken up with little stacks of clothes that I might want to pack.  I think that is going to be the most difficult - deciding what to take along.  I've looked at the temps at some of the places on my proposed route and it gets down as low as the upper 40's at night.  I sure hate to take two sleeping bags, and think maybe I should just go with the down bag which I can leave unzipped if I need to.  I'm pretty sure the temps will be even lower at higher elevations and on my return trip.

Well, the mail just arrived and I have a package from the Blue Ridge Parkway which I'm dying to look into.  I've been over much of the Parkway but never from end to end, about 469 miles.  If I start out at the beginning of Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah, I will be driving close to 600 miles of my most favorite scenery on earth - and at approx 45 mph top speed!

Ok, now to pore over the info sent from the BRP and dream.

11 comments:

  1. I drove the skyline drive and the blue ridge parkway from end to end. That sure was a long day. Low speed limits and stopping all the time to look at the views. That was back 45 years ago and I was driving a 1957 Chevy Convertable and was newly married. Nice drive and I am sure the moountains are still there after all these years (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm feeling the same way about driving the Natchez Trace in late October. I'll be at a refuge only 15 miles from the beginning of the Trace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to renew our passports this year. Got the paperwork - just haven't taken the time to get the pictures yet. It really would be hard to figure out what clothes to take. We just take everything with us so we're good to go no matter what. But so much fun for you planning all this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you planning to drive south on the Blue Ridge Parkway -- we are not too far away from it at Boone NC -- would love to see you if you have the time

    Jenny J and Don

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting on the pictures... that is going to be one helluva trip! what fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting excited for you and to see the pictures along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the Blue Ridge absolutely stunning drive. I loved the part we were on but didn't get to drive all of it as some parts were closed. We will go back for sure.
    Packing clothes is one of the hardest things. You never know what the weather will be. Like here for example we were in the 90's with horrible humidity and now we have been in the 40's in the morning. Go figure! The days have been just gorgeous with 70's and 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you've hit on the thing I love best about full timing, I never have to pack. Whatever I've got is just there. Take your warmest sleeping bag. Elevation will drop the temperature quickly. I just take a sheet to put over me if it is too hot. Wish we were going to be at the farm when you go down the drive and parkway. It is just at the foot of the mountain where the two meet in Virginia. Bottom of Skyline, top of Blue Ridge. Sounds like a great trip you have planned. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to follow you. We should be in the same area as you when you're in NY. I'll watch closely.

    Mom says hi and travel safely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two more days to go! Sounds like you're almost ready to go. I'm looking forward to reading all about your travels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had considered the Blue Ridge Parkway last October when heading west from Spencerport NY but plans changed & we too a different route, Hope you make it to Blue Ridge country.

    ReplyDelete