Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

At Black Butte Lake

Since I didn't have to get the scan today I left home about 10:30 this morning, and arrived at the campsite at 2 pm.  It is hot and sunny, and the species of California oak here don't provide much good shade.  I've been here a couple of hours and still haven't set up my tent because I want to wait until the sun starts to go down.

I visited both campgrounds at this lake and while there are several campers already here, there are a lot of reservation slips for this weekend.  I found a spot that felt right to me but someone else has it reserved for the 16th, so I will just be here two nights, and will leave Thursday.

Not far from here is the Sacramento Wildlife Refuge and I'm thinking about visiting it on Thursday after I check out of camp.  I've never been to a wildlife refuge that I can remember, so I guess this is a good opportunity.

It is beautiful here and peaceful, in a high desert sort of beauty.  I can see a mountain range to the west that I think might be part of the Coastal range.  Mendocino Natl Forest is somewhere over there, but I have it on good advice that Mexican drug lords grow pot there so I will forego a visit to Mendocino NF.

I'm amazed at all the birds here, especially since I don't see or hear very many where I live.  There are raptors of some kind riding the thermals but I have no idea what they are - I can't see the wing and tail feather patterns well enough to distinguish one from another.

I took a few pictures but won't post them until I get home.  My mifi took a while searching for a 3G connection, and I'm running it and the ocmputer on battery power.

The campground bathrooms also have showers, which would really be nice for folks staying a while, swimming in the lake, etc.  I probably won't bother with it although I did bring a couple of towels.

More tomorrow.     

   

10 comments:

  1. Relax and take it easy. Enjoy nature, she can make you feel at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All right! Glad to see you are camping and have beautiful surroundings full of bird song. Who knows, a dip in the lake might feel great if it's hot and then a nice shower. It's your party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! You're out and about. Mom says hi, she's with me this week and doing well. We're both so glad you're out in the wilderness! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time at the campground.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great time. Enjoy the songs of all the birds. One of the great joys of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very happy to hear from you in a campground. Sounds wonderful.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  7. Portland, OR zoo has been releasing CA condors somewhere in CA where are thermals

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you made it, and found a good site. If it's super hot, standing in the water at least to your ankles will be cooling. Or put your chair in the water and sit with a book while cooling your heels. I've done that and it feels great.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see you out & about again in the arms of Mother Nature. Enjoy those birds:))

    ReplyDelete