Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Great weather for a change!

I went to get a can of Chicken Noodle soup out of the pantry, and it looked as if the number of cans increased! I think I wrote that I bought a pack of 9 cans at Costco for $9. Well it seems that it was 12 cans for $9. Good deal. I wish the dog food I bought today was available at Costco, because I just came back from Petsmart with 10 cans of Blue Wilderness dog food for about $24, and it was on sale! I mix about 1/4 can with her dry food, so it will last me a month or more. I'm debating about giving her the wet food while on our trip - even though I cap the can when I put it in the fridge, it is likely to get melted ice water from the cooler seeping into the can. She doesn't like her food as much when it's only dry.

I also stopped at the Red Roof Inn next to Petsmart to pick up a location guide. They say they allow pets except possibly in a few cities where there is a "no pet in motels" rule. I guess it is up to the individual motel whether they charge an extra fee. That is why I much prefer Motel 6, as they never charge extra. I stayed at a Super 8 last year while traveling through Montana, and the cost was pretty high after they charged extra for the dog. I didn't have a choice because the weather was not good and there was nothing else around. Times like that I miss having something I can sleep in - even a van would do. But I'm generally happy with my Highlander and if I didn't have the dog I could probably fit a section of it for sleeping. I'm not sure where I would sleep in it without a dog though - certainly wouldn't stay at a rest area by myself.

I love being back in my stretching and weight lifting routine. Very gentle overall, but I feel much stronger. I really need to start walking around the park again. Can't remember why I didn't keep up with it a month or so ago, but it probably had something to do with my allergies and bronchitis.

Dizzy Dick commented on yesterday's entry about only hearing good things about the deceased at a funeral. That is true, generally speaking. In Ireland I attended a "removal" of a prominent and very much disliked man. After laying the body in the church overnight, as is the custom, everyone goes next door to the pub where the family lays out a spread and buys a round of drinks for all. In this case the relatives of the deceased kept everyone laughing with horrible stories of things he had done to anger people. A niece of his said that only his wife seemed to think he was a good man, and I was glad he had someone in his corner. I knew most people didn't like the man but it was at his funeral that I realized the depth of their dislike. Nothing keeps the Irish from attending the viewing, removal to the church, the pub "service", the funeral Mass next morning, and the burial in the graveyard. It is really a social occasion for everyone but the bereaved.

The sun is pretty bright right now, but the brightness seems to go in and out. Here is a photo I took a couple of evenings ago, and it wasn't taken all that late in the day. The heavy clouds made it seem later than it was.

7 comments:

  1. Gypsy, I don't know if I misunderstood you, but I bought three can tops and they would keep the melted ice off.
    http://tinyurl.com/6pte2q4 or maybe put the cap on and put it in a ziplock bag.

    Also, as far as pet friendly motels, here's a list of the top 5.

    http://tinyurl.com/7zo27k4

    I find that the few times I've taken my pups to a motel, it's not so much that they won't take you, it's how much they charge. In one instance, they gave me a room that was made out of a closet and it wasn't clean. I was told it was the only room they allowed pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to have a cabinet that would multiply my stored food. That would be worth its weight in gold. Also, got a smile from you telling about the Irish funeral. That makes sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would put the dog food can inside a plastic ziplock bag too. It would get any water inside. Changing dog food on a trip would probably cause you some unexpected problems with her digestion.

    http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your very cloudy picture of the park you are in show that it is a very nice place. It is way nicer than the once we were just in in Arizona. We decided that we wouldn't go back unless every other park in the world was filled up..... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Irish have the right idea in calling a spade a spade. Never mind all the flowery stuff & just tell it like it is.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved that funeral story also...lolololol.
    Your place looks soooo good.
    I haven't walked since the time changed, no sleep, too tired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To keep things out of the melted ice water in a cooler, put a powder-coated rack inside the cooler, keeping the ice below, and the food above.

    For the dog food, you could also decant what is left in the can into one of those Glad food storage dishes, which you could throw away after three days, and the food is gone. This would be wasteful at home, but you could either wash it out when you are in the motel room, or just toss it if it is too gross. Probably would be better than leaving it in a metal can anyway.

    I keep extra produce at home in a cooler and have found that a piece of Reflectix over the top of the food (inside the cooler) keeps the cold in much better, using a lot less ice.

    A white heavy towel or small, fluffy floor mat thrown over the cooler provides extra insulation, and keeps the sun from shining on it directly, thus keeping it cooler inside for much longer. If you have room for an extra sleeping bag or down quilt, the feathers also provide a huge benefit for keeping out the heat.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete