Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Never look a gift horse in the mouth!

I haven't heard anyone else say that for a long time, although I say it once in a while. As most readers know that how I came into possession of the dwelling I'm in is an instance of pure serendipity. I realized there were a lot of things that needed to be done to make the place livable, and a few more to make it somewhat attractive, so I jumped at the chance to improve a shabby 1963 mobile home.

Many things weren't obvious when I first saw it although the owner alerted me to a leak in the roof that was built over what was intended to be a side entrance. That room is now an enclosed porch, and its saving feature is that is contains a decent washing machine. Even at that, I'd like to tear the whole thing down and give away the washer, but my son says there are a few things I should do to the room and it will then be ok.

As we pulled up the carpet we noticed several places where the flooring had obvious water damage. One spot in my bedroom was from the shower, and that has been fixed at least until I can tear out the horrible formica wall panels and install ceramic tile. An area of the old flooring had been cut out all along the living room wall and replacement flooring installed. There is a large window in the center of that wall, and when I took down the curtain rod to paint I saw that there had been/is water damage around the window. That means the whole wall is probably bad, but I'm not going to rebuild this place and spend a lot of money, so I am hoping the boys can paint and recaulk the roof before long. It has been one of my longer-term objectives to replace the windows, one by one, and it is this window that I will start with.

I can't complain about this "gift horse", and I'm not complaining even though it may sound a bit like I am. I am grateful to have a very good place to live and projects that will keep me occupied at least as long as my money lasts.

Today I painted the ceiling and walls with primer, so tomorrow I will try to get started early with the first coat of ceiling paint. If possible I might even be able to do the second coat - I still have to get to Home Depot for the wall paint but that shouldn't take long. As I've noticed with the rooms I've already done, that primer coat is really a good indication of how bright and cheery it can look, and how drab all that paneling is. Actually the paneling is just a case of overkill, but the color of it doesn't suit my tastes so I want it all covered up. Right now just about everything except the dog is crowded into one side of the room, and I hate to think of living like this for the next few days, but at least I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I can't find my camera in all this chaotic mess, but if I do I will post some pictures of the work in progress.

Well, I found the camera! The first picture is one I've posted around the time the guys were doing the flooring in the living room. The second one is the same area, only now it's primered. The third picture is the window in question (that's the screen leaning against the wall).



11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are still making good progress:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really looking good. Now if we could figure out how to help you relax just a wee bit. Everything is getting done very nicely. So hang in and eventually it will all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been known to use that phrase before. Just haven't received any gifts lately though, unless you consider those little black rice shaped gifts from that miserable mouse! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Light at the end of the tunnel is a very good thing! Glad you are seeing it.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a difference a day makes. I know how much better your feel that you are making it your very own. You will get it done soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a similar situation as yours when we found our place in Bayfield. Over the years we have made the minor repairs and completely renovated it also adding a sun room. Our unit is 14 x 78 and it's just perfect for the two of us and critters. Nice for you to have a constructive project to focus on with the end result of a cozy place just the way you want it. I have never understood why people buy or build those great big huge monster houses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one busy lady! Isn't it fun to have a project to do, one that you are enjoying (whether you like it or not) and which will make your life better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad things are working out for you. It's looking very nice! we're enjoying hearing about your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice blog! I really appreciate for sharing this blog. I am so impressed by the info that you've on this website. Good luck.

    Ceramic Tile Company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're looking forward to seeing the finished product of your windows. I'm sure a replacement will be as clear and strong as ever. With that installed, you won't have any problems with roof leaks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're looking forward to seeing the finished product of your windows. I'm sure a replacement will be as clear and strong as ever. With that installed, you won't have any problems with roof leaks.

    ReplyDelete