Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Uh Oh!

I painted the ceiling this morning and started on the walls this afternoon. I should have let well enough alone and waited until tomorrow, but I was impatient to see the color on the walls. I finished the little alcove next to the closet, and the adjacent wall. I spilled copious amounts of paint, through my own carelessness and stupidity. This is why I prefer to do my own painting - when an accident happens or there is a drip that goes unnoticed until after the paint dries, I can only get mad at myself. I will let my daughter help me out because she is more of a perfectionist than I am, or I should say, than I WAS in my younger days. Now I just say "Oh Shit" and go right on.

The room is going to look beautiful when it is finished and furnished. This will mainly be my office space, as I am going to set both printers up in the room, plus that is where my desk and supplies will be. I will need to find a smaller bookshelf to hold my genealogical records. I plan to get back into genealogical research, and have found a distant cousin in Atlanta with whom I'm corresponding and trading info. She mentioned someone from Sidney, Australia she just came into contact with, and I recognized the person immediately because I corresponded with her when I lived in Asheville. It's a small world, and especially when you start tracing ancestors back a couple hundred years and more.

Time to walk Lady, and then try to get some of the paint off me before I meet Donald this evening at Home Depot. I need to clear a place to set all the boxes of Pergo, 21 of them in all, plus underlayment.

I didn't think I would have any hummingbirds at my feeder this year but I put sugar water out anyway. I have at least one of them visiting me, and I'm thrilled to see him (or her). There are birds outside my kitchen window, probably in the crape myrtle, that have the most beautiful and melodious birdsong. I wish I could get a glimpse of them to try to figure out what they are. I have a guide to western birds, but spotting one in the first place is my problem.

I forgot to mention that when I was buying some more paint at Home Depot I chatted with the woman who was helping me. The lady I really liked retired, so I'm looking for a new, knowledgeable source. The young guy who was in the department didn't have the knowledge that I need, but the woman came along and filled my paint order, and we talked about the grease problem in my kitchen. She said that I should wash everything with TSP and do what I can to get rid of as much grease and grime as I can, and then to paint everything with Gripper, which is the primer I'm using on the paneling. Then I can go ahead with the painting. The kitchen will be the last room I do, but I was beginning to despair of finding a way to deal with the surfaces. This gives me hope.

I have a long hard way to go before the house is to my liking, but I love it and am putting love into every improvement I make to it. I know I won't be sorry, as it is going to be a fine dwelling, perfectly suited to me. I am so grateful to have found it, or maybe it found me.

I will never be able to wash all the paint off my arms and hands!

7 comments:

  1. Years ago I had a condo that I rented out. The lady who rented it was an alcoholic and when she moved out I found grease on the insides of the kitchen cupboard doors that was about 1/2 inch thick. We literally had to scrape them. I don't remember what else we did as my ex-husband took over getting it ready for me to move into while I was at work but it was a mess (and she was a friend of mine)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps paint spots are better than age spot? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, nothing like walking around with a bit of spilt paint on a person to make them feel an intregal part of the real world. Did a bit of touch up painting in the Motor Home this morning myself. Took me less than 2 minutes but of course it took me even less than that to get paint on myself. Guess you and I need never think about going into the paint business:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew there was a reason I have never painted anything. I don't look good in all those colors. So glad you like your new place so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean we aren't suopped to wear the paint? I get it all over me just opening the can. I know it will be the best place ever for you when it is all done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it doesn't wash off, it will eventually wear off. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just remember when you use the TSP to wear gloves--it is potent stuff.

    ReplyDelete